Catalan and Spanish

Gringo   Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:54 pm GMT
Galego

««Eh! I never said such a thing. »» sorry you are right, you did not say it. I wanted to reffer to the "before" you said but was almost asleep:
««Chestnuts was the staple food in this area before the potato probably even before the Kingdom of Leon (smile, please).»»

«« Let's not "celtify" everything, if we really don't know. Even the experts call that civilization "castrexa" to avoid controversy.»» It is not to avoid controversy, it is because of the village's type of construction, hill fort , castros existed long before the celts appeared in that region. More to the south where the Celts also lived it is not called "civilização castreja", the houses are also square. "Civilização Castreja" is mostly for the northwest region.

It is not celtifying everything, I said it is probably celtic because we not only find many of these traditions all over europe (or variations of it), but at the same time they do not appear all over the Iberian peninsula, only in specific areas that had celtic population. But if you mean we should not forget the other native people I agree.

Ooops I was looking for Valladolid - Pintia, in Galicia. There are so many beautifull things in the Iberian peninsula, it would be nice they made virtual tours of all of them. But it is asking too much. Just have to wait untill one day I go there.

If you like castros "Citânia de Briteiros" is a beautifull place to go too.
David Garcia   Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:15 pm GMT
Thanks Gringo and Galego, love reading you guys.....so much to learn from other cultures.
Guest   Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:39 pm GMT
Hello Galego and Gringo,
Just to prove you how we humans keep traditions no matter where we migrate. Surfing on internet I just found this leonese association in Mexico who apparently are second and third generations from leonese emigrats. This makes me feel so happy to see how people still care for the culture and tradition which are hard to keep on these times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpkpv8IwZso&mode=related&search=

The kids dancing leonese songs put a huge smile on my face....isnt this wonderful to watch?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjlLitD4VUo

BTW, they are celebrating la Virgen del Camino "Patrona" of the leonese regions.

Look forward to hearing some amazaing traditions from your regions.
galego   Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:32 am GMT
David wrote: "My first thought would be America due to the production of all kind of nuts". I almost missed this precious sentence. Absolutely right the list of nuts or lunatics is long these days: G.W.Bush, Rumsfeld, Cheney, Rice, Bolton, Paterson the crazy preacher, everybody in Fox Network, and so on... God! it must be horrible to be American these days.
Back to our chestnut - and innocent - thread, the American chestnut trees (mostly South and South East) suffered a horrible plague that killed most of them. So these days the USA has nuts but no chestnut trees (Couldn't avoid the joke again) although they are trying to recover the chestnuts and get rid of the nut or lunatic. Good luck to them.

Haven't been to Briteiros - close the my town - although I've been often to Portugal but I'll promise to go. Been to Vidago several times (a splendid resort-hotel there) near Chaves. I love Portugal. The Portuguese have preserved their towns and villages beautiful while in Spain we've built garbage over garbage and continue to do so. I Portugal there is still air between the buildings, in Spain you often see the sky up there between to tall cement walls.
Guest   Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:28 am GMT
Hei Gringo,"your" Côca (coca) is "el Coco", conocido, en muchos lugares, como "el Cuco".

Coco- Del port. côco, fantasma que lleva una calabaza vacía, a modo de cabeza. m. Fantasma que se figura para meter miedo a los niños.(Diccionario de la Real Academia Española).

This a well known lullaby to make kids sleep: "Duérmete niño duérmete ya, que viene el coco y te comerá"
Guest   Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:38 am GMT
Hei Gringo,"your" Côca (coca) is "el Coco", known in many places, as "el Cuco".

Coco- Del port. côco, fantasma que lleva una calabaza vacía, a modo de cabeza. m. Fantasma que se figura para meter miedo a los niños.(Diccionario de la Real Academia Española).

This a well known lullaby to make kids sleep: "Duérmete niño duérmete ya, que viene el coco y te comerá"
Galego   Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:55 pm GMT
"Duérmete niño, que viene el coco y se lleva a los niños que duermen poco".

Me encantó ver los videos de Méjico. La música no se oye muy bien... pero el tipo de baile y los trajes son como los de aquí. Bueno... al fin y al cabo somos vecinos. Saludos.
David Garcia   Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:34 pm GMT
Galego, I am happy to hear you like those videos from mexico.

What I thought it was very impressive to see how emigrats kept and keep those traditional from generation to generation.......

By the way, what happened to those catalan nationalism? Since you, me and Gringo started on this forum they seemed to be vanished.

I guess they get bored as we do not talk about catalunya....hehehe.

By the way Galego, I got the feeling you lived in States for a while is that right? Sorry dont mean to go down to personal question so up to you if you wanna answer it!
galego   Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:27 am GMT
"By the way Galego, I got the feeling you lived in States for a while is that right? Sorry dont mean to go down to personal question so up to you if you wanna answer it!"

David,

Absolutely! You are a cunning observer, but I won't tell you where. I don't like giving personal information on the net even anonymously. And to tell you the truth I enjoyed it. I got to know people from all over the world - literally. But there is no place like home.

Cheers!
Gringo   Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:48 pm GMT
Olá

Guest:

««"your" Côca (coca) is "el Coco", conocido, en muchos lugares, como "el Cuco".»»

In Portugal the name “coco” "côca" or "coca" meant the same when referring to the spooky fellow . Guess why the name “coco” was given, by the Portuguese, to the fruit that in English is also called "coco"-nut: Because it looked like a “coco”.
Guest   Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:03 pm GMT
From Galego:
"Let's not "celtify" everything, if we really don't know."

Read this:

The most common genetic fingerprint belongs to the Celtic clan, which Professor Sykes has called "Oisin".

Oisin
Descended from Iberian fishermen who migrated to Britain between 4,000 and 5,000BC and now considered the UK's indigenous inhabitants.

----//

Why you say it is celtifying everything if the Celts were Iberian.
Galego   Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:21 pm GMT
Thanks, guest. I am aware of theses recent genetic studies which seems to relate british genes to Iberian genes. But one thing is genes and another culture. Besides can we really talk about "celts" 4 or 7 thousand years ago?

Maybe the "magosto tradition" started the same day somebody discover a way to start a fire and did some experimentation.

Cheers!
David Garcia   Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:41 pm GMT
Hi guys,

Following the Catalan example looks like other spanish region want to keep alive that new trend called "separatism".

And this is happing on my region......hahaha!!! Well to be honest Leoneses we have never been Castellano y leoneses or whatever they wanna call us......but we should try to move ahead and do not fall in the same mistakes which the catalan are making.

Well I let you write your comments about this new taken from the newspaper.

http://tribuna.net/noticia.asp?ref=28803

Según aprobó ayer la diputación provincial
León comienza su segregación de la Comunidad imitando a Cataluña
Rechazo. Tanto el PP como el PSOE se opusieron a esta iniciativa, que había sido presentada por UPL.
La Diputación de León aprobó ayer una moción que pretende que se incluya un mecanismo de segregación para la provincia en el nuevo Estatuto de Autonomía de la Comunidad, una propuesta presentada y apoyada por la UPL y en cuya votación se abstuvieron PP y PSOE.
ICAL Valladolid
Gringo   Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:02 pm GMT
Olá

Galego:
««But one thing is genes and another culture.»»

And culture is an important thing that has to be preserved; at least something is being done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxVmiJa_kTw&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4dql9G-Py4&mode=related&search=

http://www.opatrimonio.org/index_en.asp

David Garcia:

It looks from now on we will be hearing a lot about Leonese language. :P
David Garcia   Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:48 pm GMT
Gringo,

I hope you are right and we will be hearing a lot about the "leonese langauge". I would like to make some clarifications as some people get confused with the different names given to this langauge. The language was originally called Astur as was the language used at the Asturias kingdom. Once the capital of this kingdom moved to Leon the kingdom's name and its lanaguage changed to Leones (better known as Lliones). This language was rapidly disappearing as castile was integrated and was consider the langage to follow (Lliones was left as a second language for the uneducated people). The result was that the language developed with some differences all over the territory as was not taught at school. Asturias was perhaps the region left with the biggest amount of active speakers and due to this fact some asturian movements founded the Academy of the Asturian Language. The goverment has been making some efforts and implamented the langage at the schools but still remains as an official language. Asturleones has 3 main dialects, the central which is taken as the standard by the Academy of the Asturian Language, the occidental dialect (Leones spoken in some parts of Leon, Zamora and Salamanca) and the oriental dialect (with no many active speakers in these days). The main problem in Leon and Zamora in these days is that the language has not been standarized as people do not want to follow the central standard imposed by the Academy of the Asturian Language. Therefore you could find active speakers in Sanabria (Zamora) who use different spelling and words that others in Palacios del Sil (Leon). What we all agree is that we are using the same language as the principles and grama are the same.
To resume all this, people in asturias mainly call the language Asturian and in Leon, Zamora and Salamance mainly called Leonese. Many people are starting to call the language "Asturleonese" or simply "Astur" to avoid dispute whether the language belongs to a region or other. Other less often names for the language are Pachuelo (in Laciana), Berciano (in some part of El Bierzo), Senabres (in Sanabria), Aliste, lengua del Rebollar,....this is all due to the fact there is not an institute controlling and standarizing the language (occidental dialect of the asturleonese).
The current situation in Leon and Zamora nowadays is that there are less and less native speakers (as most of them are old people in small village) and the goverments have done nothing so far to keep the language alive. After many years complaining and requesting some kind of help with this lanague in Leon and Zamora (think the Academy of the Asturian Language cant promote the language outside Asturias) on the new estatute they are going to recognize the language (not make official) and promote it in those places in which it is still used.
My parents were and are castillian speaker, as am I? but I still remember my grandparents speaking what I thought it was a broken-castillian with some galician words. My parents used to tell me that when they went to the school and used "dialect" words the teachers used to hit them and tell them that was wrong, that was not a languge, that is wrong castillian. Therefore the language has suffered so much over the year almost to extreme that it could disappear.

Sorry for this boring speech :-)

I will keep talking about it if you want to.

I'd recommend you to have a look at this website:
http://www.furmientu.org/

I am a member on their forum and we usually have discussion in asturleonese about the language and different matters which affect the language.

Thanks for reading and hope you learn something today :-)

PD, the funny thing about this language is that the only place in which is official is in Miranda do Douro (this is due to a leonese migration to this part of portugal in the past).