Catalan and Spanish

galego   Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:30 am GMT
I've never had anything against Catalunya until I lived there for almost 3 years. Being a Galician I found funny that the Catalans kept on calling me Castellá o Madrileño. It seems to be a constant in the Catalan mentality to divide Spain in two countries: Catalunya and Spain. It sounds ridiculous but it´s one the mental tricks the Catalans keep on playing. I also found insulting the complete ignorance the average catalan displays concerning the rest of the Iberian Peninsula, because after all they are part of it and are certainly more "iberian" that the celts to the west of them. Until this silly mentality doesn´t change in Catalunya is only fair that the rest of Iberian people use similar tricks with the Catalans.
star   Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:18 am GMT
David Garcia ,Guest, Galego:

Good try , but no use.
"Until this silly mentality doesn´t change in Catalunya is only fair that the rest of Iberian people use similar tricks with the Catalans."

You just gave yourself away . You are using silly tricks. Stop pretending you are galician, asturlian or leonese! How strange one person of each province to leave a message. Ridiculous behaviour ,I just feel sorry for you.
galego   Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:40 pm GMT
Mr. or Mrs. "star". Thanks for your sorry feelings... but could easily feel sorry for yourself because this is the first time I posted in this forum and haven't even read Garcia's comment. Damn straight I am a Galician. Here is weather report today from the Rias Baixas: saw the sun for first time in a week, much less windy than the past 2 weeks, temp around 16 deg. mostly cloudy, visibility over 10 miles at least out of my window.

The plain truth is that out here (the rest of the Iberian peninsula) we are getting a little tired of the arrogance and ignorance of some Catalans. True about some Madrileños too. Speaking for myself it´s getting a little tiresome to listen to some Catalans rant over and over about how they are the world´s belly button. Besides that they have their little obsession of being a little "frenchy" and not Iberians. Well, heck no, the Catalans are not genetically different from the Aragonese, the Murcianos, the Leonese or the guys from Huelva, even the Southern French are not different from the Spaniards. Even the "anglo-saxons" share a most of their genes with the Iberians. Being a little richer than the rest of us have made some of you people a little too arrogant... Franco is mostly dead... nobody is oppressing you. Time to clear your mind and get rid of passed obsessions.
Signed,
Galego (damn straight!!!)
David Garcia   Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:56 pm GMT
Mr or Mrs Star,

you are a pathetic ignorant. My name is David Garcia Ordonez (do you need my DNI???), I was born in Leon (from leonese parents - father from Vega de Antonan and mother from San Feliz de Torio) therefore I am and feel leonese. I live in Ireland as the mine crisis in the Leon Province made many of us migrate abroad and around the peninsula seeking for a better life. I guess you did not even know they were mines in Leon.....yeap and they bloody closed leaving 10% of the population without jobs!!!!

"Stop pretending you are galician, asturlian or leonese!"

This statement just proves what ignorance there is in Catalunya. I guess you refer to that asturian or leonese thing because I firstly wrote in asturleonese "Saludines mui axebreigos dende las festeiras asturllionesas" which means "regards from the the astur lands". If you did not live in your catalan bubble you would know that asturian and leonese shared the same culture in the past, the astur culture (which is a celtic culture), astures in the mountains and cisastures in the other part of the mountains. We also shared the same language, Leones (originally called like this as Leon was the capital and name of the kingdom at the time). Nowadays it is called asturianu in asturias due to the fact it is where most vitality has. There are still many active speakers in Leon, Zamora and Salamanca (mainly in Leon province and Zamora province) in which many people refer it as lliones or asturlliones. Just a quick note to say, Lliones is official in Miranda do Douru in where it is called Mirandes. In the new "Estatuto de Castille and Leon" Lliones will appear as a protective language and is intended to be taken into the school as in Asturias.
Am I boring you Star?? I guess it is too much for you to learn in just few minutes... isnt it?....I guess this does not interest you as I do not mention YOUR WONDERFUL catalunya or catalan.....and you thought everything in Spain was Castille and Castilian....I might be discovering new countries for you, Am I not??? but i guess you do not really care and you will keep on calling us castellanos or madrilenos....or whatever you call us!!

To be honest, most of the catalan nationalism are sons of other iberian emigrats so can I take you guys serious when you go saying things like We are not Iberian or spanairds?

David Garcia (damn Leonese)
galego   Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:49 pm GMT
Excelente, David!!! ¿Irlanda? ¿Qué fuerte, no? Aunque no creo que el tiempo ahí sea hoy peor que el de aquí, que vuelve a empeorar. Viento del Sur de alrededor de 10 nudos a juzgar por el abeto del jardín.

Me encanta ver que yo no soy el único saturado de tanto catalanismo arrogante e ignorante (estas "virtudes" gustan de viajar juntas). Nada en contra del catalanismo sano, que conste.

Pues nada "saludines mui axebreigos" desde las Rías Baixas o como decimos por aquí "unha aperta".
Galego (damn straight!!!)
Guest   Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:19 pm GMT
Galego! A me encantan las culturas y la diversidad de identidades por eso que no tengo nada contra de el lenguaje catalan, los catalanes o la cultura catalana, de hecho la encuentro muy fastinante. Pero de hay a invertarse cosas y jugar la baza de opremidos....pero de que hablan!!!??quien son los opresores!!!??Lo que pasa es que les jode pagar impuestos y que estos vallan a zonas mas necesitadas de la peninsula, solidaridad se llama pero bueno ya sabes bien ese dicho de que los catalanes son muy agarrados no?

Carallo, Por onde andas?Dende onde me falas? Yo amo mi tierrina leonesa pero tambien la asturiana y la gallega.......digo yo que eso viene de generaciones, historia comun, costumbres compartidas,....! La ultima vez que fue al pueblo de mi padre (en la cepeda leonesa) estaban celebrando un Congosto y bebimos queimada como cada ano! seguro que esto te suena no???

Mis padres vivieron en Burella 6 anos, yo 3 y pico (casi 4 segun mis padres) por eso me encanta leer sobre la cultura galega, sobre toda la cocina jijiji...que bien prestoda que ye :-)

Me despido con este poema de Eva González, escritora leonesa de Palacios del Sil (solo un par de versos ya que es muy largo).

"Los nuesos nomes"

Nun s'atoupa nesti mundu
una l.lingua más guapina
que la nuesa, nuesa fala,
nuesa faliel.la dulcina.

La que falamos eiquí,
na nuesa guapa tierrina,
nestos val.les tan formosos
todita la xentiquina.

Si non amirái los nomes:
las Rosas fonon Rosinas,
los Manolos, Manolines
ya las Josefas, Pepinas.

Los pastores, pregueirinos,
las vaqueras, vaqueirinas,
las brañeras, brañeirinas,
las pastoras, pregueirinas.

Qué falax amorosín!
¡Qué cousas cariñosinas!
¡Qué guapinos nuesos nomes!
¡Qué formosura de l.lingua!.
David Garcia   Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:21 pm GMT
By the way, Guest is me.......just keep forgetting to type down my name on the top..hehehe!!

Take care you all :-)

David
Guest   Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:11 pm GMT
"estaban celebrando un Congosto....." quise decir Magosto.....se me fue un pouquin....:-)

Salu y ya falamos.
Gringo   Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:57 am GMT
The Magusto (magosto) is a tradition of Portugal, Galicia and Asturias.
The origin of the word is obscure, and the celebration is thought to be of pre-Roman origin. The Basque have the gaztañarre, it is almost the same tradition only a bit different, I think.

The magusto was also celebrated in family reunions where the dead had their place in the table. It is thought to be a ritual for the dead, a family reunion.
David Garcia   Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:00 am GMT
Hi Gringo,

This Magosto (magusto) tradition has been spreaded to leon province many years ago, make sense thinking that Galicia and part of Portugal used to belong to the Asturias and then Leon kingdoms. In the Leon is very famous to organise "filandones" with "magosto" on it. The most popular magosto in Leon has to be the one in El Bierzo though the ones in La Cepeda, La Magarateria, Los Ancare , Laciana and even Leon city are also very popular and normally bring a lot people together.
Galego   Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:06 pm GMT
Hola! We are stealing this thread... but heck talking about chestnuts is a nice break... Chestnuts was the staple food in this area before the potato probably even before the Kingdom of Leon (smile, please). My favorite recipe - out of many - is chestnut soup: peel add milk, a little sugar, cinnamon, cook slowly...
But here is a question for you people... Which country produces more chestnuts? No you won´t find the answer in Wikipedia... and no it´s not Catalunya.
David, I´m writing from someplace in the Rias Baixas. You asked.
David Garcia   Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:40 pm GMT
Chestnuts was the staple food in this area before the potato probably even before the Kingdom of Leon (smile, please).....hahahahaha......of course I laugh at it. Did you thinK i was going to be like some catalan nationalism who do not see, read, understand or speak about anything which is not their own "lovely" catalunya?hehehe......

Anyway, I got speaking to portuguish customer today at work about Magusto and just found out that they celebrate it to welcome the new wine produced after the grape collection. Well I did not know this to be honest.....it is always so wonderful to speak to people from other culture...you learn so much dont you?

Galego.....let me give you 2 guesses. My first thought would be America due to the production of all kind of nuts in the south. My second guess would be Australia.....and this is really a risky guess beacuse it is not based on any sense.....just pure gues :-)

Cant wait to hear the answer.....
Gringo   Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:13 am GMT
Olá David

The chestnut (castanha) was so important that the tree was called “arvore do pão”, bread tree, people made bread with the flower. The “ magusto” tradition in Portugal is to make a bonfire where everybody gathers around and eat the roasted chestnuts. The wine is important at this time so people drink
“vinho novo” and “jeropiga”. You can also eat all sorts of regional food depending of the tradition and magusto can also be made with cooked chestnuts.

There are a many sayings about magusto and wine: “Dia de S. Martinho, lume, castanhas e vinho”. São Martinho is when "they celebrate it to welcome the new wine produced after the grape collection", as you said.

With the coal from the bonfire people paint their faces. People also sing songs and play all sorts of games for fun.

In some regions the magusto is celebrated in Christmas time too, and the old tradition of preparing a meal for the dead was also common at this time(not so much nowadays).

In the “Dia de Todos os Santos” , All Saints Day, during the day, children go from house to house asking for the “pão por Deus” or “ pão pelas alminhas” carrying a bag made of cloth where they put the dry fruits, cakes and bread people give to them. Today they get candies and cookies too. In the past entire families would go from door to door asking for the “pão por Deus”, now it is only the children and the tradition is dying in the big towns. In the afternoon there is the magusto that lasts until late at night.

There was also a tradition of carving turnips ,or pumpkins, make three or four holes to make eyes nose and a mouth, put a candle inside and then leave them at night in hidden places to scare the people that was passing by. An old pan with a lid with four holes would do too. It was called “côca” or “coca” but I do not know if there was a specific date when they used to do it, hardly anyone remembers this tradition, it is pretty much dead. I know it was also a tradition in Spain and had the same name, maybe in Galicia. It could be connected with the “coca rabixa” ( the dragon), because it is all about fire, but I can’t find information about it.

Galego, you are right all these traditions are of pre-Roman origin and were most probably Celtic. I can tell you where "the Best chestnut " is produced ;) , the biggest producer hummm....that is a tough one. Maybe India?
Gringo   Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:22 am GMT
*(flower) =the bread was better with flour
Galego   Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:58 pm GMT
Hi, david and "gringo"
"you are right all these traditions are of pre-Roman origin and were most probably Celtic". Eh! I never said such a thing. Let's not "celtify" everything, if we really don't know. Even the experts call that civilization "castrexa" to avoid controversy. BTW if you are ever around Peñafiel in Valladolid don´t forget to visit Pintia, 4 Kms from Peñafiel. Pintia was an important pre-roman city. The area was populated by the Vacceos (apparently or probably celtiberians). It is very impressive, at least it impressed me for the technology they had in those days and the beautiful craftmanship.

The biggest chestnut producer is China, apparently mostly from bushes not trees. Other chestnut producing countries seem to be Turkey and Italy. Spain comes as number 7. At least this is what this book says...

Cheers.